Saturday, April 18, 2009

Post #3, when I really should be studying...


I have the world on my shoulders with finals coming up in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!... but, there is always time for art. This was my second painting EVER; I finished it about a year ago. My wife and I have two cats, so I decided to use them as my captive subjects! I started this painting by painting my larger cat first (the black and white cat, Max). After I was done, I realized that I had barely left enough room for my smaller cat (the calico, Maggie). I ended up being quite pleased with the way that the right side of the painting turned out.

I am less proud of the left side of my painting. I feel that I did well with getting the colors of Maggie's fur down, though. I think that she looks like a human in a cat suit. For some reason, I had a really tough time with her face. I just didn't have enough room to do what I wanted, so I did my best and quit after awhile. I really need to find more patience when I am working with paint. I get really mad when I make a mistake with my brush. After awhile, I just quit - NOT GOOD!

Well, that is all for now. I will do my darnedest to get my third (and current painting) finished and posted within the week. I am also thinking of making this blog less about my paintings and more about other people's paintings. If you want me to post something, let me know: el4stros@gmail.com. I know that my wife wants me to post something that she did, so I am going to do that when she finally finishes up.

Until then, Criminal Law is calling my poor name...

4 comments:

  1. Nice Painting, dude! You are doing good on the art.

    On the other hand, it truly sucks to be us the next 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment...

    Tell me about it! Studying property is like eating a sack of unadulterated crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great. Do the cats pose for you or is it all memory?

    I'm starting an interest in taking pictures lately.I want to advertise it on BYU campus and maybe I can take some engagement pictures if anyone will trust me. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do it, Gabby! I am still not very good with painting, but there is something liberating about putting one's own work out there for the whole world to see.

    Also, I had a few pictures of the cats that I looked at for some help. I didn't like any of the poses that they were in, however, so I just did what I could with them. Painting the blanket over Max's back legs was intentional. I really didn't know how to make it look good, so I averted disaster the best way that I knew how.

    ReplyDelete